Hope Scholarship Credit became effective January 1, 1998, and allows up to a $1,500 maximum tax credit per year for the first two years of post secondary education for each individual student. The Lifetime Learning Credit began July 1, 1998, and allows up to a $2,000 cumulative maximum tax credit per year for all students in a taxpayer’s family.
Qualified Tuition and Related Expenses
Qualified tuition and related expenses are tuition and fees (except for Health Service, Transportation, and Student Insurance fees) a student must pay to be enrolled at or attend Georgia State University. The following are not qualified tuition and related expenses:
- Charges and fees for room, board, student insurance, health services, transportation, and similar personal, living, or family expenses.
- Amounts paid for any course or other education involving sports, games, or hobbies unless the course or other education is part of the student’s degree program or is taken to acquire or improve job skills.
Specific Instructions for Form 1098-T
Georgia State University is required to file Form 1098-T for each student who is enrolled for any semester during the calendar year. For more information about the deduction or credit see IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education [PDF], Form 8863, Education Credits, and the Form 1040 or 1040A instructions.
Each University must choose whether to report payments received or amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses. Georgia State University has chosen to report amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses (Box 2). We also report any scholarships/grants you received (free money not required to be paid back) on the 1098-T form (Box 5). We do not report out of pocket payments received (Box 1) on the 1098-T form. This includes cash, check, credit card, and loan payments.
Following is an explanation of the information Georgia State reports:
- Filer’s Name and Address box: The University’s address (Student Accounts address) is printed in this box.
- Filer’s Federal Identification Number box: The university’s FEIN and a contact phone number (1-877-467-3821) are printed in this box. Students can contact this phone number (ACS’s customer service phone number) if they have any questions pertaining to their Form 1098-T.
- Student’s Social Security Number box: The student’s social security number is printed in this box. Only the last four digits are printed on the form. If the student did not provide a SSN, there will be no SSN reported.
- Student’s Name and Address boxes: The student’s name and mailing address (MA) are printed in these boxes (if the mailing address field is not populated in Banner, the address hierarchy looks for permanent address.)
- Box 2: This box contains the total amount that was billed during the calendar year for qualified tuition and related expenses, which is defined as “tuition and fees that a student must pay to be enrolled at or attend an eligible educational institution.”
- Box 4: This box contains any billing adjustments that were made during the calendar year for a prior calendar year.
- Box 5: This box contains the total amount of scholarships/grants received during the calendar year for the payment of the student’s costs of attendance.
- Box 6: This box contains any scholarship/grant adjustments that were made during the calendar year for a prior calendar year.
- Box 8: This box is checked if the student was enrolled in 6 or more credit hours in the fall semester, spring semester, and summer semester.
- Box 9: This box is checked if the student was a graduate student.
Access Your 1098-T
Effective tax year 2011, students will have access to 1098-T detailed information via PAWS by January 31. A print friendly PDF version of the form will also be available via PantherPay. Students and Authorized Users will receive an email when 1098-T forms are available online.
Please note: Students must have an active address in our student system in order for a 1098-T form to be produced. If there is no form available, review your personal information via PAWS to provide an active address and notify the One Stop Shop that you have updated your address information. A 1098-T form will be generated once we verify that an active address is in our system.
- Log into PAWS at https://paws.gsu.edu
- Select the Finances tab
- Select the “Tax Statement (1098-T)” link in the Account Information section on the right
- Click the “Select Tax Year” link
- Enter the tax year and click “Submit”(only 2010 and later are available online in GoSolar)
- Select the “Tax Notification” link from the Student Accounts menu
- For a print friendly PDF 1098-T, select the link to PantherPay at the top of the page
Authorized User Access:
- Go to the Authorized User secure website
- Click the PantherPay link under Important Links
- Log into PantherPay
- A link to the 1098-T form is located in the “Statements” box at the bottom right