Berner Scholarship and Loan
Incoming freshmen from rural Georgia with a 3.0 or higher high school GPA are eligible to apply for a Berner Scholarship and Loan. Preference is given to students from Troup and Meriwether counties. These merit-based scholarships are half-award and half-interest free loan, to be repaid upon graduation or disenrollment from Georgia State University. Awarded for eight semesters, the current award amount is $5,000/semester for eight semesters.
- $10,000/year (half as award, half as loan), renewable for four years
- Academic support and advisement
- Career exploration activities and support
- Leadership workshops
- Service opportunities in the Atlanta community
Requirements for keeping the scholarship
- Maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Maintain a full course load each semester of enrollment (12 or more credit hours)
- Attend the orientation session with current and incoming Berner scholarship recipients at the beginning of each school year
- Meet twice a semester with an academic coach/professional staff member
- Maintain involvement in at least one activity in each of the following areas each year:
- Career Exploration
While it is not required, Berner Scholarship recipients are strongly encouraged to join the Honors College, which will provide an additional support network and access to resources to facilitate college success.