Scholarship Profile: Austin

Scholarship Profile: Austin

Austin is a recipient of the Ezzard Scholarship and is a Biology major, and maintains a 4.0 GPA. His studious nature combined with his passion for helping others will serve as excellent tools to becoming a physician. He is humbled and grateful to have received this scholarship.

Please tell us a little about yourself.
First off, I am a pre-med student. That alone, probably portrays the same image to everyone — smart, studious, over-achiever, high strong — but, there is so much more to life than good grades. I consider myself a lifelong student. I am an aspiring physician and plan to attend medical school after my time at Georgia State University. I also consider myself to be the biggest coffee aficionado at Georgia State.

What life experiences shaped your decision to attend Georgia State University?
Until sophomore year in high school, I had no plans to go to college. I did not get good grades through grade school and never thought I could handle the academic rigor of college. I had a near death experience in the summer of my sophomore year of high school which completely changed my path. Georgia State became home for me for so many different reasons, and I’m glad I didn’t attend anywhere else.

How do you plan to contribute to the Georgia State University community?
At Georgia State, I have made lifelong friends and mentors. Being president of the Honors Student Organization of the Honors College has allowed me to mentor incoming pre-med students for the past two years. I hope to contribute to the Georgia State community by continuing to create mentorship opportunities, volunteer events, and social activities for students of the Honors College. Also, I will continue to support the Athletics Department and attend home games. GO PANTHERS!

What financial challenges influenced your decision to apply for scholarships?
I came into college with no external scholarships or grants besides the HOPE Scholarship, which I am very appreciative to have, but, it does not cover all of tuition, and certainly not housing. After dishing out a large sum to live on campus my freshman year, I ran low on funds and had to move back in with my parents. I am currently working and tutoring full time to save enough money to live on campus my senior year. Living on campus or close to campus is essential for students because it allows for ample university involvement.

What motivates you to be a successful student?
My future patients motivate me to continue being a successful student. One day, I hope to save loved ones from terminal diseases. I know the many years of schooling and enormous debt will all be worth it when I see the appreciation on a wife or husband’s face for saving their significant other from an early death. What also motivates me is my future family and children. I want them to live a comfortable, stress-free life, so they can pursue greatness and interests of their own.

As an incoming freshman, what example do you hope to set for future attending students?
The best advice I always give incoming freshman is to learn to like being uncomfortable. Seriously, freshman year is the time to get out of your comfort zone and try new things. Go to a guest lecture, Greek event, or campus event, even if you don’t know anyone else going. Attend a general body meeting of an organization that interests you. Jump into action freshman year and have no regrets… but also stay on top of your school work, as school comes first! Most importantly of all, be curious!

What is one of your most embarrassing moments?
The most embarrassing moment in my life was falling down a flight of stairs in Langdale Hall during prime class change time. It was spring of my freshman year during a typical Tuesday around noon. I was getting out of my English 1102 class and coming down to the main 2nd floor. I tripped and went face first, down the flight of stairs. I will never forget it.