Scholarship Profile: Andy

Scholarship Profile: Andy

Andy is the recipient of the Ezzard Scholarship and is a Pre-Nursing major with an exceptional 4.08 GPA. He has faced many challenges, but has worked hard to overcome them. He will continue work hard to achieve his aspirations in becoming a Registered Nurse.

Please tell us a little about yourself.
I am the middle child of three. I grew up in an upper-middle class home for the first 8 years of my life, and since then, have lived in poverty. These lifestyles have both influenced and motivated me to continue to working hard and take on the challenges that face me.

What life experiences shaped your decision to attend Georgia State University?
During my junior year of high school, I went to the hospital on several occasions. Each occasion increased my respect and admiration for the nurses that took care of me. I researched schools that had nursing programs and came across the Atlanta-based Georgia State University.

How do you plan to contribute to the Georgia State University community?
Currently, I am a member of the service-based organization Circle K International (the Georgia State chapter) and will continue to pursue volunteer opportunities around the community.

What financial challenges influenced your decision to apply for scholarships?
My mother would work on average, 8+ hour long shifts weekly. She could only make enough to support her kids and, on occasions, take us out to dinner to have a break from reality. She couldn’t pay the high costs of tuition and housing, so I made the choice to seek financial assistance.

How has receiving this scholarship positively impacted your life?
Thanks to this scholarship, I was able to attend Georgia State for a second year. I am now able to continue to learn more from professors, and am one step closer to being able to apply to the nursing program here at Georgia State.

How do you define success?
Success doesn’t equal a high GPA or attaining a high income. Success is attained by those who better themselves and others. Along with that, success is equivalent to knowledge.

What kinds of activities do you like to enjoy outside of school?
I love to skateboard. I’ve been doing it for 6+ years and love the feeling of landing a heel flip. Unfortunately, I get kicked out of a lot of places from skating, but those 10 minutes before I get kicked out can be some of the greatest moments of my life.