Scholarship Profile: Alexis

Scholarship Profile: Alexis

Alexis is a recipient of the Ezzard Scholarship. She is a Managerial Science major and maintains a 3.98 GPA. As a first-generation college student, Alexis is extremely honored to receive this scholarship, and is anxious to continue her success at Georgia State University.

Please tell us a little about yourself.
I am native to Atlanta and take great pride in being the only one in my family to graduate high school with honors and go on to attend college. My favorite hobbies are shopping, baking, and watching movies and, a more recent favorite, playing with my dog. I am definitely loving life being a college student especially with recently changing my major.

What life experiences shaped your decision to attend Georgia State University?
Georgia State is in the heart of Atlanta, the home of many different growing opportunities in all of Georgia. My mom started working at this wonderful school when I was only 15 years old and of course, I’d visit all of the time. Being exposed to the type of culture Georgia State offers, I just knew this was the university for me.

How do you plan to contribute to the Georgia State University community?
I love Georgia State; it has literally become my home. I love going to all of the different events we host. I plan to volunteer more often and join more clubs at Georgia State so that I can really make an impact in my community.

What financial challenges influenced your decision to apply for scholarships?
First, being the first in my family to go to college was not a coincidence. No one went because everyone believed it was way too expensive, and they were partly correct. I was not able to live on campus and truly be a part of the Georgia State community because I did not want to take out loans. I don’t have extra money from my family, and we do not have anything in savings. I have worked to obtain multiple scholarships, because that is the only way I will be able to attend this amazing University.

How has receiving this scholarship positively impacted your life?
Receiving this scholarship, I have been able to save money so that I can afford housing. I can afford books. I can afford school supplies, and I am extremely grateful.

Do you have any advice for students intimidated by the scholarship process?
I feel like applying for scholarships can be nerve-racking and intimidating because of all of the other applicants you are competing against. However, you can never win if you don’t apply. Apply for as many as possible for the experience, to meet more people, and hopefully win.

How do you define success?
I define success as being happy and content with life. I define it as being able to care for yourself and others. Being successful means that you have achieved your dream.