profile-viktor_banner.jpg

Scholarship Profile: Viktor

Viktor is a double major in Film and Video and Managerial Science. He was awarded the Schreiber Scholarship.

How did you find your scholarship?
I actually just went by the Scholarship Resource Center and asked what I was eligible for. The SRC Staff told me that many departmental scholarships were available for me to apply to. I looked at the business department. We found the scholarship listed there, and I applied that night. The rest is history.

What motivated you to want to apply for scholarships?
Being a double major, tuition is costly for me. I make decent enough grades, and my family should not have to deal with the financial burden. I didn’t want to take out any loans, so I wanted to see if any scholarships would be a possible option for funding my college education.

How was the essay-writing process?
It wasn’t really stressful. I had a general idea of what I wanted to write about, so I just started writing. I brought my drafts to my professors, and they said it needed to be a bit more “personal” so that it establishes a deeper connection with the reader. At the end of the day, as long as you have a strong idea about something, just write about it. Don’t make an assignment out of it or it will seem stressful.

What did you write about in your essay?
I wrote about how students should value their education. I wrote about how important it is to prosper from the education we are receiving, not just to satisfy degree requirements but to also have more knowledge of the world around us. In essence, why am I in school if the material means nothing to me? If it means nothing, then we as students have some re-evaluating to do. New priorities must be set.

How helpful was the Scholarship Resource Center?
I actually looked at a majority of the scholarships beforehand, but I went to the office to find out what people look for when selecting winners. But I would have never found out about this particular scholarship if I had not visited the office.

What challenges did you have to overcome to become the student you are today?
The biggest thing would be time management. I commute, so having to get to and from school on my schedule is a bit daunting. I do a lot of things, so my main problem is finding the time to relax. If I can balance leisure time with homework and extra activities, I will be set. Also, I transferred here from Georgia Southern. Even though the difficulty curve was steep, there was nothing I could not handle.

What do you plan to do after graduation?
I would like to attend grad school. When I am finished, also I want to start my own film production company. Before that, however, I’ll be working on small projects and doing camera work.

Do you have any advise for other students who are searching for scholarships?
When applying for scholarships, don’t stress. Yes, getting selected does depend on how badly you want it. But at the same time, look at it from a broader standpoint and relax. It is not the end of the world if you are not selected. It is just one opportunity. If you miss, other opportunities will come. But just give it a shot.